The Darien YMCA Piranha Swim Team abides by a strict Code of Conduct governing all coaches, swimmers and parents. The purpose of the Code is to ensure that all those associated with Darien YMCA Piranha swimming treat others with dignity and respect.
The Code of Conduct is a condition of membership for all swimmers, parents and coaches. All members of the Piranha Swim Team and their parents agree to abide by the Code of Conduct and agree to be subjected to the consequences of violating the Code.
All enforcement decisions made by the Darien YMCA are final and are not subject to review. No refunds will be granted to those swimmers dismissed from the team for their or their parents’ violation of the Code of Conduct.
Roles And Responsibilities
- Teach and practice good sportsmanship at all meets and practices. You are role models!
- Respect the sport. Respect the officials. Respect the coaches. Respect other parents, who often serve as volunteers.
- Do not coach your child. Let swimmers swim and coaches coach, and support both positively.
- NEVER criticize other swimmers, coaches or officials regardless of the circumstances.
- Follow the “24 Hour Rule”. If you have a complaint resulting from a meet (or practice) situation, speak with the coach on the following day.
- Notify the Head Referee or the Meet Manager if there is a serious problem at a meet.
- Emphasize the FUN of the sport and the benefits of training, competing and putting forth effort at all times. Do not emphasize winning or beating another swimmer.
- Time at least three meets during the season (= 6 per year)
- Any conduct, including abusive language and/or gestures, racially insensitive remarks, damage
to property or belongings, or any other conduct that reflects poorly on you, the Darien YMCA,
and/or the Piranhas is deemed to be unacceptable and will not be tolerated. This rule applies to
all swimmers, parents, siblings and guests at all times when at meets and/or practices, on the
pool deck, in the locker rooms or any other associated facilities.
- You represent the Piranhas and the Darien YMCA during any meet or practice, home or away.
Any conduct such as shoplifting, destruction of property, illegal consumption of drugs or alcohol,
or any other questionable activity will not be tolerated. This rule applies for the entire duration
of such meet or practice.
- The Piranha coaching staff and the Executive Director of the Darien YMCA will deal with
unacceptable conduct at their sole discretion, imposing warnings, suspension or expulsion,
as they deem appropriate. ANY SUSPENSION OR EXPULSION FROM THE TEAM BASED ON
VIOLATIONS OF THE CODE OF CONDUCT WILL NOT BE ACCOMPANIED BY ANY REFUNDS.